01 May 2009

Sister Blister

Welcome to my new blog, you may have migrated over here from Zombietronics in which case, you are awesome, thanks for continuing to read what I have to say. I really do appreciate it.
If you're new, I hope you enjoy my future posts.
I stopped writing Zombietronics because I said a few things that offended some people in my life, and I don't want to apologise for things anymore. A lot of my readers were casual readers, and friends or family who were probably just reading because I'd asked them to. I felt that I was censoring myself a lot and basically I don't want to have to do that anymore. I think that I should be able to say what I want, and yes, maybe I should have continued to do it over there, but basically, I just wanted to start fresh. Because I like doing that. Zombietronics was my first attempt at blogging, and I'm keen to improve my writing style and content.

As for introductions - my name is Tash, I live in Brisbane, Australia, my birthday is actually next week and I will be officially no longer a teenager then, I work in an administration position for my parent's IT company, I am trying to study an IT course but I'm completely unmotivated at present, when I am not at work I'm most likely reading, I ENJOY spending the majority of my time in solitude and I find absolutely nothing wrong with that. I watch and obsess over films, I value my family more than anything else, I don't drive, I love to sing, when I get nervous I wring my hands and bite the inside of my mouth, I read the news a lot and it makes me depressed, but then I just play with my pet rat Reagan and everything is better. My favourite colours are green and purple, especially together, I have a 'cool sock' collection, I'm probably the only person in the world who really doesn't like swimming or the beach, I can't sleep unless there's a light on somewhere, when I grow up I want to be happy, I like rock n roll and I am a feminist.

The title of this blog - Sister Blister - is the title of an Alanis Morissette song that really means a lot to me. I've posted the lyrics below. The song describes how women compete with each other for the approval of men - even after all we've gained and acheived, we still fight to win in a patriarchy that will never let us truly win - it is all we know, and as long as we continue to live in such a world, it will always continue to happen. The message is that we need to stop sabotaging each other, the only way we'll ever have a chance to create gender equality is to work together. I love this message, because I will admit I have perpetrated this myself, and also been on the receiving end. We don't need to fight each other. There's already an entire world out there already keeping us back.

In this blog I will continue to talk about feminism and sexism, so if you're not interested or you "get sick of hearing about it", you should leave.
I will also wax lyrical about my life, the things that happen in it, the things that don't, the things I want, the things I need, things I've heard, things I've seen, and also about how awesome zombies and octopi are. If you'd specifically like me to address anything, leave a comment or write me an email, cause sometimes I get brain-dead for ideas and suggestions always help kick me into gear.

you and me we're cut from the same cloth
it seems to some we famously get along
but you and me are strangers to each other
cuz you and me:competitive to the bone

such tragedy to trample on each other with how much we've endured
with the state this land is in

you and me feel joined by only gender
we are not all for one and one for all

sister blister we fight to please the brothers
we think their acceptance is how we win
they're happy we're climbing over each other
to beg the club of boys to let us in

you and me estranged from the mother
you and me have felt impotent in our skin
you and me have taken it out on each other
you and me disloyal to the feminine

such a pity to disavow each other with how far we've come
with how strong we've been

you and me are on this pendulum together
you and me with scarcity still fueling

sister blister we fight to please the brothers
we think their acceptance is how we win
they're happy we're climbing over each other
to beg the club of boys to let us in

we may not have priorities same
we may not even like each other
we may not be hugely anti-men
but such a cost to dishonor a sister

you and me have made it harder for the other
we forget how hard separatism has been
you and me we can help change their minds together
you and me in alignment until the end

sister blister we fight to please the brothers
we think their acceptance is how we win
they're happy we're climbing over each other
to beg the club of boys to let us in


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey - cool post, and welcome to the new digs. A question: is it possible to be a feminist and a male? Or, more importantly, is is possible to be a humanist (where sex is irrelevant except for breeding) and either male or female?

zombietron said...

Yes men can be feminists! Have a read here: http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/faq-can-men-be-feminists/
As for humanism - I haven't read too much into it, and considering it's almost 2am in the morning and I'm drunk, I'll leave that for tomorrow to research.
What's your thoughts on humanism?

Unknown said...

My thoughts on humanism are reall;y pretty simple. Every human, regardless of sexuality, religion, race or any other conveinent bucket, is entitled to the same level of opportunity as anyone else. There is only ONE job that women are clearly better at than men, and ONE job that men are clearly better at than women. Other than that, it don't matter two fifts of fuck all whether what you are.