18 May 2009

Monday Links

I had my hours cut at work a few weeks ago and I'm back to 30 p/week. I get Mondays off, so I no longer dread waking up on Mondays. Cause I don't usually wake up until it's half way over!
In light of my great fortune (or misfortune, if you wanna look at it in the way that I lost half my job) I've decided each Monday to share with you some of the awesome links I've found in recent days. So check it.

Probably my favourite and the most well-written post I've read regarding the ongoing NRL saga everyone's talking about, written by monkeytypist: "You can't expect men to..."

An old post at Hoyden about Town titled "Nice Guys (TM) redux and what makes an ideal husband and father" about how the minimum standards of being a civilised human somehow equals an ideal husband and father.

Derailing for Dummies: Making discrimination easier! 'A simple step-by-step guide for derailing conversations by dismissing and trivialising your opposition's perspective and experience. Just some of the many issues you can apply it to: sexism, whorephobia, racism, transphobia, classism, homophobia, ableism, kinkphobia, fatphobia. Guaranteed, you can use it to marginalise anyone!'

This Aussie short indie zombie film from Sundance 2008 that I am in LOVE with and have watched about ten times now. It is called I Love Sarah Jane and it's about ten minutes long and so worth your time. It's actually really heartbreaking and cute.

Definatalie on twitter reminded me how much I love hula hooping and also saddened me because I can't at the moment while my tattoo is healing (it's on my hip). If you're interested in hooping, have a look at these sites...
Instructions for making your own hoop
Online store for hoops and hoop tape
Bunny Hoopstar's site, she's one of the most famous hoopers in Australia - also where I bought my awesome, high quality hoop that's lasted me for years.



Anyone who owns pet rats or is considering getting an awesome pet ratty, head on over to The Dapper Rat, who have the best information and pics on the whole wide intarwebs. Everything from how to set up a cage, ideas for food, health issues for rats, ideas for making your own rat-toys and how to keep your ratties happy.

With all the awesomeness of the new Star Trek movie (which fucking ruled, AMIRITE) I believe y'all should get your drink on with this awesome Star Trek Drinking game which I plan to test out the next time I can actually afford some booze. Highly logical.

This set on flickr from user sajbrfem where she's made a batch of FEMINIST COOKIES that you can give out to those who really deserve it. Oh you think women are people? Have a cookie! You aren't a rapist? Have a cookie! You have female friends? Have a cookie!

And last but not least, I've been listening to Dresden Dolls all day, and someone reminded me yesterday how much I used to be obsessed with Rocky Horror. To the point where all I wanted to do when I grew up was play Magenta/Columbia in a stage show. Still have to work on that. Anyway, to satiate my needs, I've been listening to this non stop: Amanda Palmer playing Science Fiction Double Feature.

Enjoy my lovelies.

No comments: