29 June 2009

Sick of your Shitty Movies, Hollywood

I think I am the only person in the world who does not want to see The Hangover. My boyfriend asked me to go, telling me that apparently it's a critically acclaimed comedy, people are going wild over it! That's great dear, and I'm sure other people may find it funny, I'm sure I may even find parts of it funny if I switched off my brain for a while.
The thing is, I'm really not in the mood, ever, to pay money to sit in front of a screen for two hours being assaulted with the Bromosocial way of life, that ideally does not include women. The only women ever involved in these bullshit identical movies that have been spewed forth in a steady vile stream over the past few years are as such;

1. The Mommy-Wife. She nags, she's whiny, she's generally 50% hotter than the husband she is married to, just wants him to do things like "grow up" and "get a job" and "contribute to the relationship" and all those stupid things that only girls do.
2. The Manic Pixie Dream Girl-type Lady. She's quirky and pretty and wears funny clothes and does CRAZY things like; jumps off cliffs into the sea, makes main-character-dude go run out in the rain, laughs at all his jokes, never ever judges a thing he says, politely accepts when he cheats on her.
3. The Ugly/Fat/Old/Drunk Whore. Ew! She's ugly! She's so fat! She's so drunk! She's a "cougar"! One of the main dude characters will have sex with her anyway, but EW! As if anyone would want to put their penis in that! Even though I clearly did!

Chicks in these movies are basically only there to present the main dudebro with the opportunity to learn his big life lesson at the end of the movie where he realises something along the lines of; "Wow, I am a giant turdmonster whose life is a cesspool of idleness. I will make this tiny change and voila, I now have the perfect dudebro life." Cue entire cast singing in rainbow world, or all the main characters circle-jerking about what awesome friends they are. We've come so far, and learnt so much!

So...no, I don't want to watch a movie about dudes, and why chicks are gross, cause they have vaginas, and vaginas are totally gross, but we'll fuck them anyway, and man don't you hate it when your wife nags you, and haha, look at that fat whore. And you know what's funny? PENIS!LOL!

In other news;
  • You can have a read of what Sady at Tiger Beatdown has to say about the Hangover.
  • Check out the trailer for Woody Harrelson's awesome new zombie movie, Zombieland.
  • In case anyone doesn't know, I have an obsession with all things Frankenstein, and I found this the other day - Bride of Frankenstein-inspired nude pinup. NSFW Obviously.
  • Short zombie film, I Love Sarah Jane, starring the girl who's playing Alice in Tim Burton's new Alice in Wonderland.
  • Monster Island is a serialized online novel about, you guessed it, zombies.
  • More pimping for Prime geek nightclub which is coming up fast on the 11th of July.
  • And one last one, if you're interested in watching movies that don't rely on casual misogyny for laughs, give the Bechdel Test a try. It involves watching only movies that fit the following criteria:
  1. It has to have at least two women in it,
  2. Who talk to each other,
  3. About something besides a man.
I aim to give it a go....Will require some research beforehand though.

Oh and for anyone who is close to me/cares, I got booked in for my surgery on the 20th July, and will be out of commission for a week after that. So if you wanna come round and give me casseroles, flowers, massages, cupcakes, ponies, rainbows or just treats in general, I would like that.

1 comment:

Sleepydumpling said...

I have seen it, and I think you'd be surprised. There is only one horrible woman (negative female character - the others are actually positive) in it, and she doesn't fit any of the usual stereotypes. In fact, she's more like the blokes you think would be in this movie than the blokes are, if that makes sense.

There is a prostitute, but she is ADORABLE and when someone calls her a whore, the biggest grot of the film (who never swears once) gets REALLY mad and says "Don't talk about her like that, she's a nice lady!!" The twist at the end with her and the character who marries her when he is drunk is very, very sweet.

It was a HUGE surprise this film. Way more than I ever expected. The guys are so likeable and believe it or not, caring. Yep, crass and gross at times, but it does have heart. The wedding is lovely, Bradley Cooper's character has a lovely wife and little boy.

But it's still fine of you to not want to see it, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. But it is very different to anything I've ever seen and surprised me a lot.