08 June 2009

Books

I've been taking a blogging & internet vacation lately, because I'm too stressed to talk about anything other than my problems, and I'm too caught up in my own problems to look at other blogs or care about what other people are doing.
To wind down every night I watch a couple episodes of The Office because mama needs her stories and I just can't get over how awesome it is to watch Jim & Pam.

The other night I finally took the time to watch No Country For Old Men and I wish I hadn't waited so long because it's shot straight into my All Time Top Five Favourites. I need to get my hands on a copy of the book - so if you can help out, please do.

I went to the Lifeline Bookfest today and here's what I scored:
The Incredible Melting Man by Phil Smith - exactly what it sounds like.
The Change by George C. Foster - a sci-fi novel exploring the ramifications of a world where humans begin to grow younger instead of older.
Red Sonja - fuck yeah. Anyone else excited for the new Rodriguez movie coming out starring Rose McGowan?
The Jewels of Aptor by Samuel R. Delany - Some guy, in some world, somewhere in the universe, does something. I don't know, but I've been wanting to read some Delany.
The Funhouse by Owen West - Horror in a circus sideshow.
The Furies by Keith Roberts - Atomic war on earth breeds giant wasps with bloodlust.
Tron by Brian Daley - TRON!!!
Looking For Jake by China Mieville - Mieville is supposed to be a super awesome author, and I've tried to read him before but he writes epic things I just can't get behind. This one is a set of short stories so I'll start out this way.
Others & Shrine by James Herbert - Supposed to be one of the best horror writers ever. Time to give him a go, also, people with the last name Herbert seem to be great sci-fi/horror writers.
Also got two big horror anthology books, and one novel (Surrender the Pink) by CARRIE FISHER! I love you Carrie Fisher.

What's your favourite horror novels, authors, movies?

Now it's Office time, but I'll end by showing this awesome No Country related video I just found. Laugh. Enjoy yourself.

3 comments:

Michael Meloni said...

Horror novels: You can't beat Richard Laymon's work. His books are the perfect mix of dark humour and suspense.

Darragh said...

I have to admit I haven't read many horror novels, but I really liked 'Salem's Lot' by the Kingmeister. More so than some of his others! Freaked me out.

zombietron said...

Thanks for the comments guys - Mike, I've been meaning to read some Laymon, one of my friends goes on about him all the time. One of the anthologies I bought has some short stories by him. What book would you suggest by him?
Darragh - King is definitely the king. I didn't like 'Salem's Lot as much as some of his others, but it was still excellent, and I had to sleep with the windows closed for a while :P